The Start Menu is just one more replacement for the standard menu found on windows mobile pocket pcs. The main difference is that it has been made as a service and so does not need to be launched on startup, it is done automatically, and it is not an extra exe, but a dll loaded by services.exe
- Pocket PC 2003
Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC
WM6/6.1 Professional devices
WM6.5 Professional devices (no start menu anymore)
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM6 EN
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM5 EN
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM2003SE EN
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM6 FR
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM5 FR
Download Start Menu v1.7 for WM2003SE FR
Change the settings folder name in the registry if the StartMenu\Settings folder has another name.
For instance in French, it should be:
Sometimes the setup of the cab file doesn't install everything as it should. This could be solved by following the procedure described below.
1) Launch TaskMgr (TM) (TaskMgr)
2) From Menu->Actions select Register dll and browse \Windows directory and select ppcmenu.dll
3) Do a soft reset
4) Verify that it works after the reboot by clicking the start button only, not the "Start" text or whatever the translation is, if your device is not in English. This is done by purpose, so both menus (mine and default one) are accessible.
you can also verify, if the service has started, by launching TM and selecting the services Tab.
If you have any comments, bugs report, suggestions, problems, then you
could send them to this address firstname.lastname@example.org,
I will carefully consider them.
- add new value in the registry to change the font size
- default font size can be superseded by setting the following value in the registry
- fix problem
of empty entries in the menu
- Large icons are now possible by setting an option in the registry
- fix problem of rendering on some parts of the screen
- fasten the menu rebuild mechanism
- separator is now a dashed line and takes less place on screen
- background image retrieval enhancement
- fix problem of submenus arrow icons not well rendered (supported size are 16x16, 22x22, 32x32)
- fix problem of menu appearance when too many folders exist in the programs folder
- rebuild of menu when today wallpaper theme changes
- rebuild of menu when the device is rotated
- resize menu by adding a more... entry if the screen is not large enough.
- removed [FdcSoft StartMenu].lnk, now the standard [Start Menu] can be used and assigned to a hardware key
- fix problem of background rendering especially on VGA devices
- menu appearance is faster, but building is slower (thread priority handling) especially after a soft reset
- localization aware if mui file provided
- any file stored in the start menu folder and subfolders is now visible and selectable on the menu
- fix problem of show Programs/Settings that didn't work correctly in certain languages
- fix problem of automatic start of the service not starting after a soft reset after cab installation
after cab installation, start the Start menu service via TM (TaskMgr), then at next soft reset, the start menu will be automatically started.
- default font can be superseded by setting the following value in the registry
Or as a binary value as well:
Large Icons option:
HTC Diamond and HTC Raphael option:
The HomeIsMenu option shows the menu, when pressing the home button for more than a second.